Saturday, August 15, 2009

Midway through training

Hello Everyone! So that last post was really typed out about three weeks ago but did not publish for some reason until just right now so I'm sorry about the lack of correspondence!

Things are pretty good here for the most part. I have been at my host family for three weeks now and have adapted quite well to living in a mud hut, using a pit latrine, taking a bucket bath even though washing my hair is still difficult-a solar shower might become a necessity that I'll need sent to me-and overall my host family is great. It is a small family for Zambia but I like it. My bataata-father in bemba language-is a house builder so he is gone quite often. His name is caifus and he is forty. My bamaayo-mother in bemba-is great. She really wants me to learn bemba so works with me everyday to practice. She speaks pretty good english. She is only thirty! They have a fifteen year old daughter named Joyce who is also great. She always picks me up from school and we walk home even though I have my bike! She also really wants me to learn bemba so i am slowly getting better. It is kind of difficult but my language trainer says my group is learning the best. We actually had our first simulation test yesterday and our group scored the highest, and I got a 4.9/5.0 so not bad! My language group only has three people in it so it is perfect. It is myself and then a married couple named Ryan and Ashley. They are great and we work well together. They are also my closest neighbor at my home stay family so that is nice. We all think we will be placed in Luapula province but I will not know for sure until the end of August. Luapula is supposedly a beautiful province with lots of water and fish so we will see. It is quite far from Lusaka though.

Training is pretty intense and very interactive. We spend all day everyday in training. I wake every
morning at 6 to the wonderful choir of roosters! They sound like broken records and are so annoying! So I am awake early and have breakfast in the main house at 7 then gather my stuff before heading out on my bike to my language class which is held at the womens club-a mud hut in the middle of the bush-luckily it is only five mins away from my house. The bike riding is slowly improving-I am very out of shape but also it is really hard to ride on unpaved, rocky and sandy roads! By the end of two years I will be the most fit I have ever been :) my language training lasts for four long hours! Luckily with just three of us we manage to go a little faster so we get out early. I bike back to home, have some lunch usually rice and soya and then bike to chilimbana school where we have tech sessions. The trainers for the health tech part are great and give some really good advice. After tech we get home around five thirty at which point the sun is setting so we take our bucket baths, eat dinner and practice language with the family. I am not too fond of the zambian food so am looking forward to cooking for myself! The food is very plain so can't wait to spice it up.

The pc staff are great, especially the local zambian staff. They all have great insights and give some great tools for us to have a good two years. We have been talking a lot about sustainable development and I really dont understand why we are talking so extensively about this considering we all signed up for the job so whether we agree of sustainable development practices we are here so how can we make the most of it. For the past few days we have had so many talks about development in general and some people have some really negative attitudes about how development doesnt work. I just always want to ask then why did you chose to do pc? I hope we move on from this topic because whether or not we think it is sustainable we are here doing development work so how can we work within our communities to help them better their lives in a
sustainable way. That is what i hope we start talking about! The debate is important but not in our training seminars.

So that is a look at my life right now...I am sorry for the delayed updates on these blogs, access to a reliable computer is really hard! Please please write to me, we all look forward to mail call on thursdays :-)
Hope all is well in the states!!
Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Sarita!!! Your blog is awesome. I have enjoyed catching up with your adventures abroad! :) Keep in touch!
    <3 Eva

    ReplyDelete