Greetings from the internet cafe in Mpika! So I am on day 10 of being on my own in the village and so far things are going really well. When Ted, the PCVL (Peace Corps Volunteer Leader) dropped me off at site, he was very disappointed because they had not put a new roof on the hut, or put a roof on my cimbusu (toilet) and there was grass all around the hut so he told them that if the work was not finished in three days, he would come back and take me out of the site. So the first night in my hut, I had a lovely view of the full moon so it was lovely! Thursday, I thought the village would turn out in crowds to finish my house....but they didn't! And I spent the day just playing a lot with the children and reading. There are a million children in my village...most of them are great, some of them are not! I often feel like I am babysitting them which gets old and frustrating at times, but for the most part, they are just overly curious excited children. My house is located literally in the center of the village...everyone has to walk by my house to get to the village center or the paved road, so there is always foot traffic. In many ways, I love it because it doesn't feel so remote or isolated. At other times though, when I would like privacy or alone time, it is quite difficult! But overall, I love my site and the location...I am surrounded by beautiful beautiful hills and trees so I am at peace when at site. On Friday, Ba Gilbert...my counterpart who is the chairperson for my housing committee, came and really started work on the house. He whitewashed my walls for me and painted the walls with some paint I had bought in Kasama. I told him I could do the painting but he didn't believe me so did it himself! Hahah oh well, at least it does look good. On Saturday, a carpenter came out to my site and I ordered some furniture which will be ready tomorrow, I'm so excited! I am getting a door to put on my kitchen, which is a smaller mud hut outside my regular hut so I'll be able to store all my food and kitchen stuff in a room that will be secure! I am getting a new door for my hut because the one I have is not good. I am also getting shelving for the kitchen, as well as a bookcase to put my clothes in so I'm excited that once it is in the house, I'll be able to unpack. Also on Saturday, the headman for my village, Ba Lawrence came and built a new roof for the cimbusu as well as a fence so there toilet was a little more private! That same day, later in the afternoon, I met with my clinic staff to lay out agendas for the next three months. Ellis Kalengo, the EHT (Environmental Health Technician) is a really great resource and I am looking forward to working with him. When I returned home, the roofing crew arrived and put some plastic and thatch on the roof. Lucky, they did it just in time as we had our first rain storm that night in Mpika!! I was sooo lucky and remained dry throughout the night.
Sunday, I went to the Catholic Church with Gilbert. It was a VERY long service...and we didn't have a priest--there is a shortage of priests so it was some community members who led the service. But the service was very nice and the music was amazing...so much drumming, singing, dancing--truly an African church service. Ted came back as promised on Sunday and was so impressed with the work on my house! He really made the village feel special haha.
My real work week began on Monday but I had nothing scheduled so I spent the day at home...reading and trying to come up with plans for work. I played a lot with the children who are great when I want company! They love doing things for me...like fetching my water, washing my dishes and it is hard for them to accept no! I am hoping I can have someone help me with laundry and getting my water regularly as carrying a 20L jerry can is extremely heavy and I'm a weakling! I am amazed at how strong the women and children are here. I see mothers with babies on their backs, 20l jerry can filled with water on their head and a bucket in each hand all the time and am always in awe at their strength! The women in Zambia, as I'm sure throughout Africa, as the hardest working group of people and there days are so long and tiring, but they always greet with smiles on their faces and seem happy! I am excited to work with the many women's groups in my community!
Tuesday, I was suppose to go the clinic but my EHT cancelled on me so I had my first meeting cancelled....haha I guess I am suppose to get used to it as this is quite the norm in Zambia. So I spent the day doing home improvement projects...and proved to Ba Gilbert that I could paint by painting the windows and window sills in my hut.
Wednesday, I met with Laura and Carrolle Anne...two PCVs who live in my district and have been here for a year. Laura is my nearest neighbor and is 7 k from me. We went to Mpika town and had lunch at a Somalian restaurant which was very nice and then I came back because I had to meet with the Anti-Aids club at the basic school. The club is very excited to start work and it will be interesting to see what they have already been doing. The teacher I'm working with worked a lot with the Jeana so he wants to carry on where she left off. I will be going to the school regularly.
Thursday, I went to the clinic and observed the ante-natal clinic....it was an interesting experience and the expecting mothers were so friendly! I will be going regularly to those clinics and hopefully doing some health talks on safe pregnancy and safe motherhood. Thursday afternoon, Ba Gilbert's wife brought me lunch...it was so sweet of her and it was nice to have some company (other than the children) while eating.
Today, I am in Mpika...have spent the morning at a training for community drama hosted by Health Communication Partnerships (HCP) and it was very interesting. I am hoping that they will come train my anti aids club so that they can start doing community theater as a tool to educate people on health issues. I also meet with the DAPP organization in town and have set up meeting times for next week to discuss possible work. I am staying in Mpika tonight with Laura...we are cooking dinner for a lady who runs the orphanage in Mpika so I am looking forward to that.
So far, I am staying upbeat and positive. Life here truly is much more simple and beautiful. I enjoy spending time reading, relaxing and meeting the various people in my villages. They are so friendly and so welcoming. It is hard to believe I'll be living in this community for two years! It seems so long, yet not enough time for all the work that needs to be done!
Alrighty, well time is running out....hope you all are doing well!!! Please please write me or comment on the blogs so I know what's going on over there in the wonderful U.S. of A!
Miss you!!!
Friday, October 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment